Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Hunting for Shakespeare and other, more remarkable stories

This one goes into the category of "more remarkable". As I've told before, I have a circle of friends that's growing unbelievably fast this fall in the form of little baby girls and boys. First there was the second daughter of the Suntila family, Venja Meri Annael, then came the firstborn son of Tomi and Hanne (Ville, he is) and this Monday was the day that Mari and Mikko's second child decided to finally present herself to the world. Many warm thoughts and congratulations to the proud parents of the little princess and, no doubt, even more proud little brother Aleksi.

In my life, work dominates. In a major way. Last night I did get a moment of relaxation, as I was invited to a friend's birthday party. Eeva turned 24 (she's so young...) and had decided that she wanted to celebrate in a local Italian restaurant. There were eight of us girls. We've all met at the university, but I don't see most of them very often anymore. So it was very nice to sit down and chat for a while. The food was delicious (I got pasta "Alla Rico", it had little mozzarella balls in it, yummy!) and there was enough of red wine for all. After the dinner Eeva invited us all to her place and put together a delightfully sweet dessert. Rest of the girls were also served gin tonics, but I had to say no - I had to leave the party early to do some work. So no gt's for the working girl... Not that I would've cared for any on a Tuesday night anyway. I'm getting old or something... ;)

Came home, did my work and went to watch a rather shocking documentary on tv. It was about a 36-year old man, who had a fatal skin disease. I didn't see the beginning of the documentary, so I'm not sure whether the disease itself is fatal or if the disease makes it more likely to get fatal cancer. (That's what the fellow in the document had, eventually.) Well, anyhow. The disease is such that the skin peels off if there's a scratch or a touch that is too strong. It's a genetic disorder and there's no cure for it, at least not yet. It's just unbelievable what can go wrong with the human genes. I never thought there could be such a disease.

Documentaries like that really make me value my life even more. And wonder about the people who, for example, want to ban stem cell (Is that the term? I don't remember for sure... Kantasolu?) research. If science could cure people with such horrid diseases like this one, I do think it should be done.

Oops, I wandered into some deep waters there. Well, I'll wade on to more shallow subjects, as is proper for this blog. :)

Shakespeare. (Did I just say shallow? Darn, I think I just took a dive deeper instead of wading anywhere...)

I've decided I need to see more Shakespeare on stage. I've seen only Tempest before (but then again, it was unbelievably amazing) so I thought I need more. I'll have to remember to call the city theatre tomorrow and ask if they still have tickets for the visiting theatre company's version of Hamlet. That'd be the first of this round. Then there is Macbeth. It can be seen in Tampere. Wonderful. The third Shakespeare I'd like to see before the year's end, is Midsummer Night's Dream. It'll open in Helsinki in the beginning of December. It's one of my favorites. The original is, of course, a delightful story, but I also love the version Neil Gaiman has done of it. Ah, wonderful. Now I just have to start asking around for people to come to all these plays with me. I've managed to book Maarit for a night of Hamlet (if I get the tickets...), but I'll have to start asking around for the others. Wink wink.

Gotta go now, have work to do. Blah. Luckily not much though, so I can enjoy the program on Charles II later in the evening. Fun, fun.

No comments: