Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The truth in dreams

I've got some serious problems, it seems. With my bed and my pillow. I desperately need to get a new mattress, because my back hurts in the morning. (Shush there, Sarin and Tytti! I know what you're thinking. I'm getting old, too...) I've never had problems like that before, probably partly due to all the dancing which keeps my back in some sort of shape. I hope.

However, I don't consider my back the biggest problem. Why? Because I haven't had any bad dreams about broken backs yet. But I had this really weird and disturbing dream about my neck the other night...

I had slept in a somehow crooked position a few nights ago and thanks to that and my poor excuse for a pillow, I had a really nasty crick in my neck on Sunday. Ouch. So what does my subconscious tell me the next night? Get a new pillow! This was how it was told to me in my dream.

In this dream I was at a party or something with a bunch of friends and when I left the livingroom to check my makeup or something in front of a mirror, I noticed this huge lump in my neck. And I mean huge. Like a loaf of bread large (and actually shaped like a loaf of bread too, like sticking out of the back of my neck - blergh). In my neck! Quite naturally I freaked out and yelled to all my friends "Why didn't you say anything about this to me??", which of course makes them freak out and call an ambulance. So the ambulance arrives and in come the nice paramedics. Two young guys who call me Mrs (oh, how I hate them for it!) and make me lie down on the wossitsnamebedthingie, which I absolutely hate (even more than the Mrs part). I tell them over and over again that I can walk, because the problem is in my neck, not my feet. They just keep patronizing over me like good little paramedics and I'm freaking out more and more by the minute. I think the dream ended when the doctor tells me there's nothing to be worried about and to be sure, the lump begins to grow smaller. Jeez...

Serious note to self: buy new pillow. Soon! Or maybe buy fewer bread loafs? I can't be sure, really...

However, after I get the new pillow (or no more bread loafs), I'd better try to watch less of Pimp My Ride... And yes, this truth was also revealed to me in dreams. I think I ought to worry, when I start to dream about being personal friends with Xzibit and having him visit some summer cottage somewhere (which I obviously don't have), where I'm hosting a huge party for loads and loads of people...

Weird, but fun. Well, the lump wasn't fun when I was dreaming about it, but I did wake up feeling quite amused despite the crick in my neck - which had also taken a turn for the better.

Folks, listen to your dreams. They'll teach you something one of these days. Or not. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are seriously looking for a new pillow or a new mattress I just have to recommend the Tempur-products. No, they are not cheap, but take into consideration how much of your life you spend sleeping or lying on the bed, and it just makes sense.

The Tempur-material is heat sensitive in some weird way so that when you lie down on a Tempur-mattress or put your head on a Tempur-pillow you feel like you sink in to the material and then it supports you completely. It feels absolutely fantastic and is really good for bad backs or bad necks or such.

Susanna and I got a Tempur-mattress as a wedding gift (actually we asked for money for the mattress and bought it our selves just to get the right one) and it cost close to 1000 euros, but it's definitely been worth every penny.

Tempur-pillows are of course not that expensive. I think you can get a pillow for about 100 euros or less. We started out with pillows and then got so hooked on the material that we wanted a mattress too, and decided to get married just to get the money for the mattress (or not ;) ).

But seriously, take these Tempur-thingies into consideration when thinking about buying a new pillow or mattress.

You can always come to us if you want to test rest your head on a Tempur-pillow.

-Ben-

Johanna said...

You know, Ben, I've seen ads for these Tempur-products and ever since I've dreamed of the day I'll have the money to invest in them.

Sadly the day isn't going to be in my very near future... Maybe I should get married to get a mattress, too. But then again, that doesn't promise to be a very quick solution to the problem, either. ;)

I'll definitely keep your recommendation in mind, though. Maybe I can afford a pillow if (and when) I get a job for the summer.

Or else, gotta lotto...

Anonymous said...

I own a Memory Foam Mattress and it’s wonderful! Best bed ever! I have a lot of sleeping problems and it solves all but my girlfriend’s snoring! I think the government should pay for everyone to have Memory Foam Mattresses!

Price Check said...

Funny story

Ian said...

Nice story

If you are still interested in shopping for pillows then check out PriceCheckHQ for the latest deals.