Sunday, August 07, 2005

Nothing much

I have a rock festival going on in my back yard. Honestly, I do. Or actually, no. Not in the back yard, but in the neighbouring park. It's an annual joy, a kids' rock weekend. Which means I get to listen to all sorts of kiddie music played very loud and even some young kids performing themselves. Just a couple of hours ago I was reading my newspaper to the sound of old Finnish pop and rock songs performed by a little girl, judging by the sound she must've been something like 12 years old. Perhaps. Very endearing, but honestly, no matter who sings them, I just don't like the songs of the 1980's favourite Dingo. Urgh.

What left me wondering though, was the choice of music that was played in between the kiddie stuff. Or what would you say to the dj who played "gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight" to an audience of toddlers and pre-teens? It's not like they really understand what the song is about and they probably just enjoy (at least the older kids) the sound of more "adult" music. But still. I found it somehow a bit odd.

Went bowling last night. It was heaps of fun. This was, I think, the third time ever I tried bowling and the previous two times were in the States. Ten years ago. But seems it's a bit like riding a bike. Once you've got a hang of it, all you need is a few tries and you're back on track (on whatever track that may be). At least I didn't suck at it, because I had a few moments of triumph (four strikes, for example) and I think I may have had the best score of all of us 11 or so girls that were there. Heee. Not that I'm competitive or anything... (Well, let's see. Hmm. I think I am competitive after all. *grin*) So who's up to going bowling with me one of these days? ;)

Ah, I think I may have had something else in mind, too (although I can't remember what it may have been), but my dearest brother is coming to pick me up sometime soon and I think I need to get myself ready. He tends to inform me of his schedule within 5 minutes of his arrival. And then he's not too happy to be left waiting for long. :) In other words, gotta go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What left me wondering though, was the choice of music that was played in between the kiddie stuff. Or what would you say to the dj who played "gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight" to an audience of toddlers and pre-teens? It's not like they really understand what the song is about and they probably just enjoy (at least the older kids) the sound of more "adult" music. But still. I found it somehow a bit odd."

I agree. And these Tenavatähti-competitions make (or made, haven't heard about them for years. Thank heavens!) me feel odd as well. 7-10 year old kids singing hearbreaking and melancholy lovesongs or songs about war and memories of war. "Elo tää juoksuhaudoissa on, meille käskynä vain kohtalon...." isn't somehow very convincing when sang by a 9 year-old boy with braces.

Not that listening singing children would be one of my favourite pasttimes anyway...annoying little buggers. ; )

Sarin

P.S
Help! Still thunders and lightnings. Otherwise okay after a very hot day, but I am paranoid and need to unplug my computer. No matter how little the risk of virtapiikki, I'd rather not take it. I'd go mad if my computer went kaputt. Johanna must now have a slight feeling what I am talking about, even if it was only a couple of hours. ; )

Johanna said...

I'd go mad if my computer went kaputt. Johanna must now have a slight feeling what I am talking about, even if it was only a couple of hours. ; )

Heh. I did manage to stay relatively calm, didn't I? :) Btw, you forgot your sunglasses in my kitchen - not that it looks like you'd be needing them any day soon with all this rain still coming down from the skies...

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that those were the only thing I forgot. I am used to forget plenty of things nowadays. ; )

But I have another pair unless the weather forecast turns out to be wrong. So there is no rush. You can bring them to the hospital next week or something. : )

Yikes! Hospital. Next week. Panic! : )

Sarin