Sunday, April 17, 2005

Eek! My eyelashes are falling!

It's showtime. Or was, yesterday. And as you can see, I'm still alive!

I've been performing so much over the past 10 or so years that I don't usually fret about it much anymore. Only a few small butterflies in my tummy, which is absolutely necessary for everything to go well. I quite like being on stage. I don't like to watch myself on video afterwards, but at least most people tell me I look decent enough when I perform.

Yesterday's show was a bit different. I had to be on stage through the whole thing with Satu and Heli, since we were supposed to be the trio that saves the day along Nour-il-Omri, the Light of Life. As much as I wanted to be an actress when I was a kid (after seeing 1000 and 1 Nights in the local theatre), I don't think I was meant to be one. I don't think I'd have the talent for it, which is one of the reasons I was pretty nervous before the curtains opened. Am I going to look like a statue of salt or like an idiotic clown when prancing around not dancing?

I was also very uncertain about my solo dance, since I had to hassle with the huge velvet cloak, which eventually led to me improvising the final parts of the dance. I felt like I had two left feet and absolutely no sense of balance or control over what I was doing. I don't think the audience noticed it, but I felt somewhat dissatisfied afterwards. And I couldn't even go backstage to grumble about it, darn it. Oh well.

Truth be told, I think the show went well. Some small technical problems (with the sound on the stage, with the lighting and such, nothing catastrophic, though) for sure, but over all the dances looked like they went well for everyone. Ilkka, our young guest star, performed an amazing "Forging the Sword" -dance in the style of Riverdance. He got the loudest cheers, which was no surprise. I think the dance world will hear of this young man yet. He's so talented and obviously very motivated. It's wonderful to see such enthusiasm in a 15-year old.

You know that old saying of rolling stones and moss? I was thinking I'd be happy to gather a bit of green growth after this show was over. I suppose I should've known better... Anu and Heli are already planning on taking this same performance "on tour", to be performed for school kids or at least once more on stage in Uusikaupunki. Honestly, it would be dumb not to do that, since there was quite a lot of work done for the show and for what - only one performance? Not really worth it, I guess. But at the same time I'm so glad they're talking about schedules for next spring, and not like in two months time. Anyhow, at least I already have an embroidered dress for any future showings of "The Light of the Magical Woods". I'll post a few pictures later next week when I get them on cd. (My computer lacks a usb-card or somethingrather.)

Before I do that, you can go here and see the article Turun Sanomat wrote about our group and show. In the picture you'll see Ilkka and Anu showing their skills. (Omg, the jumps that kid is able to do! Gosh, they'd have to haul me up with a helicopter to get me that high...)

After the show was over, all the excessive make-up was washed away (the glitter, false eyelashes, little crystal stickers and so on), we were ready for a good meal in Harald, a local viking themed restaurant. Food was delicious, although a bit expensive, as usual. If you're ever in Turku thinking about where to eat, the place is well worth considering. (This as a piece of touristy information for my foreign friends who've never visited me in Turku...)

My night, however, wasn't over until I had called an ambulance for the first time in my life. Satu and Heli had hopped on a bus to go home and I decided I'd walk, since I really didn't have that long a way home at all. On my way I noticed a middle aged drunkard curled up in a corner, moaning about pain in his chest. I honestly don't know if the situation was real or if the guy was just unbelievably wasted, but somehow I think I was right to call the ambulance, anyway. At least the paramedics were able to check if the heart problems were real. I'd hate to think I was a person who would just pass by, when someone seemed to be in need of help. I do admit I kept my distance to the guy, since I was alone, after all, but I did stay with him till the ambulance came. I hope I was able to be of help to the poor sod. He was in such awful state that it was probably for the best for someone to come and see him anyway. If the paramedics didn't take him to the hospital, I'm sure he was taken somewhere to sober up a bit.

After that, I thought I had had enough of excitement for one day. Walked home, went to bed and slept like a log and when I woke up, I couldn't even remember what day it was...

(About the topic of the post - if there's anything I hate, it's the feeling of false eyelashes falling off when they're not supposed to. Yesterday I had surprisingly good luck with the accursed things and they stayed where they were supposed to during the performance. It'd be less than attractive to have the lashes hanging on your cheek or something while you're on stage. Take my word for it.)

No comments: