Friday, April 15, 2005

Let there be work!

Aieee! Whee! Squeee! *jumps up and down in excitement*

I got work! Tralalalalaa!

Not a summerjob, but a teacher's job for next year!!! Yay!! I'm SOOOO excited! (Do you think I've used enough exclamation points to prove that yet?)

I'm going to be teaching Finnish (and hopefully history, too) in Nousiainen. Finnish in the senior high and history in the junior high. This is just perfect for me and my plans. I'm only going to have four (or max. 5) courses of Finnish and if I can get those history courses, I think I could take about 2 or 3 of them for the whole year. All in all it means that I'll have somewhere around 5-15 hours of teaching per week during the first semester. It's just so perfect I could cry. Or laugh out loud like a maniac. I can't quite make up my mind.

It's enough work to pay the rent and the bills (and hopefully put something aside for a new car or a trip to Malta or London or something) and yet there isn't too much of work for me to effectively study / finish up my thesis at the same time.

I can't believe I'm going to be a real teacher and not just a substitute anymore! It's going to be so much fun! YAY! (Now I only need a summerjob to keep me fed till mid-August...)

I'm so glad, now that I got these news, that I've decided to quit the dance teaching stuff for a while. It'll give me more of the ever so precious "free" time during the week, whether it'll be for marking exams and essays or planning lessons. Great timing.

My dance students were very nice to me this week, as the last dance classes were on Wednesday and Thursday. I got a beautiful plant&flower arrangement from the ladies in Parainen and a gift certificate to a local dance equipment shop from the ladies in Lieto. It was very thoughtful of them - they probably had noticed how my dance slippers had holes in them and how I wore the same tops every week... So today I went and bought new slippers and a very relaxed top for rehearsals. Very good.

Oh, how I wish this good mood will last till tomorrow and the recital/show/performance/whatever goes nicely. At least I'm pretty happy with my dress now, as I finished up with the beads and sequins last night. Tonight I can go to bed early, which'll be refreshing. Quite literally.

5 comments:

Tytti said...

Wow! Congratulations! Sounds really The Job for you. What about the thoughts of selling your car now - you have to get to Nousiainen by some means of transportation, right...?

Good luck for the dance performance! I'm sorry I can't be there, I'm just too ill to even go to supermarket... :( Damned flu! *sneezes*

Johanna said...

It is The Job for me! :) It couldn't be any more perfect for my situation.

The car is going to be sold anyhow. I'm not risking one more winter with it. Apparently there are at least two other teachers who drive to Nousiainen every day from Turku (with cars that are guaranteed to work even on cold mornings), so that'll solve some my problems. At least until I can get a new car for myself. ;)

I'm sorry to hear you can't come to the performance tonight. But you need to take care of yourself so we can go to the kick off -night together on Wednesday. You'd better get well for that! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!
Sorry that Susanna and I couldn't get to the "fairytale dance", but we look forward to read all about it here in your blog.
-Ben-

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your news. I am so happy for you. I also read your post regarding your performance, I took note about the restraunt so that should I ever make it to Finland, I know where to treat you to a nice meal.
Greg

Johanna said...

Thanks, Greg! If (when?!) you indeed come to Turku, the tar ice cream dessert is my treat. I'll pay for it, if you eat it. ;)