Monday, October 25, 2004

The joys and aaarrrggghs of living at home

I'm staying at mom&dad's for a few days to save in fuel (and grocery) costs. This way I don't have to drive from Turku to Nousiainen and back again every day. And I get free food, which is always nice. But most of all, I'm so happy my work load is a bit lighter to carry when mom's here to help me plan my lessons and give me advice. I'm most definitely avoiding quite a few anxiety attacks this way. :)

I'm feeling a bit peculiar about all of this, however. I sat in the sauna last night and thought about my situation. I live with my parents (even if for only a few days a week), I go to the same school I used to almost 10 years ago and what is the most pathetic part of it all, I still drive the same car I used to almost 10 years ago. Thank goodness I've so far managed to remember to go to the teachers' lounge in the morning instead of staying in the hallway with the students, like 10 years ago...

Funnily enough I feel terribly young and not very adult in the teachers' lounge. There are a few teachers who are about my age, but I still feel younger than they. Weird. I do know I am an adult and quite capable of doing my job properly teaching the kids, but still - most of the older teachers are my old teachers. It's nice in a way, because I know all the people and the places, but odd in a lot of ways. In a positive way odd, I mean.

What of the aaarrrggghs then? Well, not many of those, except for this darned modem. The phones were actually dead for a while when I was trying to log on and gosh, how frustrating is that when you're used to a nice ADSL connection at home. Plus the modem likes to cut me off every once and a while and it gets mighty irritating after a while. Oh well. Better to log off anyhow, before dad comes to remind me of the phone bill...

Oh, before I go, I do have to mention that yesterday I, once again, demonstrated how totally incapable I am of saying no. I'm now a newly chosen member of the Turku Science Fiction Society's board. I did try to stay out of it, but they managed to convince me that the editor of Spin needs to be in the board too. So I'm back after a few year's glorious break in meetings and trivial tasks. I have, however, quite clearly stated that I will not take on any other responsibilities besides editing the magazine. And may any deity help me, if I still end up with something more to do...

Gotta go now, need to go chat with mom about the grand finale of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. Mom just finished the book and is quite likely just as taken by it as I was. Wonderful piece of literature. Extremely readable and entertaining. :)

No comments: